One of our favorites for Christmas Eve!
Spaghetti alle vongole- From Campagna
- 1 1b spaghetti
- 12 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 pounds cockles or littlenecks scrubbed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh clams in their liquor
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Place a large pasta pot of about 12 quarts of salted water on the stove to boil and prepare the pasta. Then, in a separate large sauté pan, place the olive oil, garlic and crushed pepper over med heat for about 3-4 minutes. Don’t burn the garlic or pepper flakes. Cook until the garlic is just golden. Then add the white wine and reduce by one third. Add the whole clams and cover until they open (about 5 minutes) and discard the ones that don’t open. Add the chopped fresh clam and liquor and heat until warmed through. Add the pasta and the parsley and toss. Add pasta water if it is a little dry and salt to taste. Serve immediately. Usually this will serve about 6 people, but if it’s part of a larger offering, it will serve 12 people.